Lefkada (Lefkas) island, which it´s means (The White One) or Santa Mavra as it was called earlier is the fourth island in size of the seven Ionian Islands, with an area of 302 sq. km., a population of 20.000 inhabitants and a coastline of 117 km.
The island of Lefkada is located near the north west end of Acarnania Mainland from which is separated by a channel of only 28 meters wide.
It lies 31 nautical miles north of Ithaka Island and 45 nautical miles north of Kafalonia Island.
Old historians noted that in the 7th century BC Lefkada was a peninsula. When the Corinthians captured Lefkada opened a channel at the north east part of it and turned it into an island. The climate of Lefkada is mild and Mediterranean, with plenty of rains in the winter time. The economy is based mainly on its agricultural produce on fishing and the tourisms. The most important cultivations are olive groves, wine yards and honey. The capital of the island is called also Lefkada or Chora. The picturesque Basiliki bay village (Basiliki means the Royal One) is located in the south and has the most beautiful silky sandy beach on the island with crystal blue or turquoise waters, traditional taverns and cafeterias among the seashores Lefkada is the homeland of two of the most important modern Greek poets "Angelos Sikelianos" and Aristotelis Valaoritis.
The remanonts of human life in Lefkada are placed in the Neolithic Era as has been shown by archaeological finds of the islands.
It first inhabitants were the Televoans and the Lelegians, There have also been finds from the Mycenaean period, 12th century BC.
In the 7th century BC the Corinthians captured the island. During the Peloponnesian War (431-404) Lefkada lent its support to its mother - city of Corinth that took the side of the Spartans against the Athenians.
In the 4th century BC (343) the island was occupied of the great, king Phillip the 2nd of Macedon Alexander the Great led the united Greek forces the Lefkadians also among them in the campaign against the Persians.
During the 3rd century BC Lefkada and Acarnania Mainland became a member of the Acarnania federation. "The koinon of the Acarnanians" After the death of Alexander the Great the fate of the island were to be conquest from the king Pirrus of Epirus and the Romans until 325 AD. The long and turbulent Byzantine period lasted for many centuries.
In the beginning of the 16th century Lefkada island fell into Turkish hands. In 1684 until 1797 the island was fortunate to be under the protection of Venice. In 1797 by the treaty of Campo Formio Lefkada along with the other Ionian islands passed into the French Republicans led by Napoleon Bonaparte. A year later it was taken by the united Turkus Russian navy and declared Lefkada and all the other Ionian islands free but as a belonging to the Sublime port under the name of "United Septinsular State" In 1810 the British took it and finally in the 21st of May 1864 Lefkada and all the other Ionian islands were united with Greece.