An enjoyable walk through the Lakka countryside with some spectacular views of the Harbour along the way.
The lighthouse is striking in its appearance, with a stone-built square tower standing 10.7 metres high and overlooks the north coast of Paxos.
The lighthouse was originally lit in 1825 and operated with olive oil until 1913 when the old mechanism was replaced with a more modern oil mechanism. In 1919 the lighthouse was destroyed by a sudden landslide and the new square tower, that we see today, was built. Although switched off during the second world war, the lighthouse has operated continuously and in 1979 electricity replaced the oil machinery. The walk up to the lighthouse is mostly via the road with some beautiful views along the way.Some of the paths are not on Google Maps and we have provided the satellite view of the area for ease of use. The “directions to here” option on Google Maps may not work correctly with these destinations due to the narrow roads and footpaths. We advise that you turn this function off.